The following is a quick guide to helping you complete your thesis within the School of Kinesiology & Recreation. While we attempt to keep everything up to date on this page, be sure to refer to the Graduate School Guidelines as the final authority in the process.
- Refer to the Graduate School Guidelines.
- Establish a timeline for completing the thesis, adhering to the Graduate School deadlines to ensure the thesis is completed in time for graduation.
- Establish your committee with a minimum of 3 members with Graduate Faculty Status.
- Complete the Master’s Degree Override form with signatures. This needs to be complete each semester a student registers for thesis hours. The first semester requires all committee member signatures. The second semester requires only the chair’s signature.
- Prepare the proposal & present it to the committee. Follow the Thesis Format template when preparing the manuscript.
- At the proposal meeting, the Proposal Approval Form is to be completed and signed by the committee. This form requires IRB approval.
- Complete the thesis.
- Register and submit the thesis to ProQuest. There is a ProQuest instruction manual if needed.
- Complete the Right to Defend form. Return it to Hovey Hall 309.
- Once the Right to Defend has been approved by the Graduate School, the student and committee set a defense date. The date and thesis draft must be made public at least 7 days prior to the defense.
- The student notifies Barb Arbogast of the defense date. This is then forwarded to the Graduate School by Barb.
- The Graduate School announces the defense date and title across campus.
- Defend the thesis. Complete the Outcome of Defense form at the defense with committee signatures and submit to Hovey Hall 309 with the final thesis deposit form (see next step). At this point a format check is highly recommended, but optional. To do this, call the Graduate School at (309) 438-2583 to schedule the format check. You do not need to be present for the format check. Any necessary corrections will be emailed to your Illinois State email account.
- Complete the final deposit checklist and submit to the Graduate School (Hovey Hall 309).
- Resubmit the final copy of the thesis to ProQuest.
- Continue to check your Illinois State email account until your thesis is finalized. The Graduate School will contact you via this email account with any corrections needed to your thesis. If corrections are needed, the ProQuest version will also need to be updated.